This Paleo Sweet Potato Hash is the perfect sweet/savory breakfast with the addition of apples and bacon! Shredded sweet potatoes and apples make this super simple Paleo breakfast quick to cook too. Whole30 friendly with minimal ingredients, easy and healthy.
I’m officially back from vacation, which makes me feel like summer is officially over. My black and white thinking seems to become really apparent when transitioning from summer to fall!
First, not being much of a summer person means I’m just ready to move on. Boxes have been checked – I went to the beach, got a little bit tan, played in the sand and ocean with kids, dinner out with my friends, went to a waterpark, read a book, roasted marshmallows at the beach. The list goes on.
Now that I think about it, we crammed a serious amount of summer fun into the one beach week. Funny how that happens magically in between glasses of wine – and good thing it does! Otherwise I might feel guilty about spending my vacation drinking wine with my friends.
Or, maybe I wouldn’t. Guilt is overrated, and, wine is really not. Am I right? Anyway, our trip wasn’t just boxes checked – it was a great time (despite nearly all the kids getting sick – can’t have it all) and I 100% appreciate having close friends we can do this with and come out alive.
To put it in perspective, it’s 1 house, 8 adults, 11 kids and we really wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂
So, being back from vacation means that summer is done as far as I’m concerned. It also means I need to cook again (and I actually want to, good thing), get my kids prepared to start school next week, and start thinking about Christmas.
Just kidding about the last one – I mean I don’t even really celebrate Christmas since I’m Jewish and all, and even still, too soon.
Don’t tell me it’s too soon for apples and apple-y things, because it’s not. Technically it really never is, since they are available year round and I don’t particularly notice the difference. But, September means apple picking and sweet potatoes and – soon – really really soon – pumpkins.
Plus I made all of these apple recipes and will not be holding back, so, brace yourself and go get some apples! And a good veggie peeler – just saying.
You might be wondering what is so special about this Paleo sweet potato hash, since it’s no secret I make a lot of them. I will tell you this – the sweet potatoes and apples are shredded, which means this hash cooks up seriously fast.
I might not be running my fastest lately (eek!), but with all the back-to-school chaos, cooking still needs to happen fast. The other special thing about this hash? I won’t joke about the bacon because bacon jokes are getting very cliche I think. All I’ll say is the sweet/savory balance is just about perfect, in a yay-bacon sort of way.
That makes no sense. I’m not very good at not making bacon jokes, I guess. I will move on though, so you can make your breakfast and I can start making a list of potential pumpkin recipes. I kid you not – this is my plan right now!
Paleo Sweet Potato Hash with Apples and Bacon
- 1 and ½ cups sweet potato, peeled and shredded* (or 1 medium)
- 1 med apple (I used pink lady), peeled and shredded*, excess water squeezed out**
- 3-4 slices Whole30 approved pork bacon***8 (no sugar added), chopped
- 1-2 large eggs (1 per person)
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (this is only to cook the eggs at the end)
- Heat a medium oven proof skillet over med-hi heat and add the chopped bacon***
- Once the bacon is about ¾ of the way done (2-3 minutes), add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring until soft and browning.
- Add the apples and continue to cook and stir until the whole hash is browned (another 2 minutes or so), adjusting the heat if necessary to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat and create grooves in the hash for the egg or eggs.
- Carefully crack each one into a groove, sprinkle with salt, and put the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to preference***
- Remove from oven and serve alone or over greens. Enjoy!
**Just squeeze between paper towel over the sink once
***If you don't have an oven proof skillet, you can cook the eggs by covering the pan at the end and cooking over low heat until cooked to preference.
***U.S. Wellness Meats sugar free pork bacon has been my favorite go-to bacon for years!
Want more Paleo breakfast hash recipes? Try one of these!
Are your summer boxes checked off?
What’s your current favorite breakfast combo?