This rich, creamy Caramel Hot Chocolate tastes absolutely decadent yet is completely dairy free, paleo, vegan and made with only whole food ingredients. Melted dark chocolate in almond milk is swirled with an easy homemade dairy free caramel sauce for this ultimate winter night treat.
The caramel kick is not over! In fact, after this, I feel like the possibilities are just opening up. Remember the Chocolate Caramel Fudge Cups? I hope you do, because even though it feels like I made them 2 months ago, I think it was just last week. Like I said yesterday, it’s been quite a long week for me!
Anyway, after I made those fudge cups, my daughter Emily wanted me to make caramel hot chocolate. Of course my talented little blog-helper had a great idea, given that it’s now December, the holiday season, and people want hot, dessert-y drinks. Plus, my hot chocolate recipe from last year has been begging for a makeover for a while, so I took this as the opportunity to do just that. Let’s face it, creamy hot caramel sauce makes anything and everything a whole lot more attractive (and delicious), don’t you think?
Do you need more selling on the caramel sauce? Okay, I’ll tell you what’s in it, and how easy it is to make.
Because I only needed this caramel sauce in liquid form, it’s a lot more basic than the caramel fudge from last week. Just 2 ingredients – coconut sugar and coconut milk – heated while stirring, create this yummy syrup. And you should know, in case you’re not a fan of coconut flavor, that when this is finished you do not taste the coconut milk at all. Nope – just delicious dairy free caramel syrup – you seriously will not know what hit you after the first taste! Try not to start eating it by the spoonful though, it’s definitely sweet!
As for the hot chocolate, it uses just two ingredients – almond milk plus your favorite dairy free dark chocolate – you choose! One of my favorites – and what I used for this recipe – is Theo’s 85% Dark Chocolate. If you haven’t tried this brand yet, I highly recommend it! Not just for this hot chocolate, but for your general dark-chocolate-loving fun times 🙂
So, for 4 ingredients total I’m telling you this is 100% worth it the next time you have a chocolate craving. Plus, I left you with just enough extra caramel sauce to save for a rainy day, or to lick out of the bowl whenever you damn well feel like it. Hint – you might want to do that sooner than later though, because as soon as someone else finds it, they’ll most likely be the one doing the licking.
And let’s get on with this recipe already for Caramel Hot Chocolate! Emphasis on the caramel. Sorry, I’ll stop now!
- 5 tbsp (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp)Organic Coconut Sugar
- ¾ cup full fat canned coconut milk, whisked until smooth
- 16 oz almond milk, divided into 4oz + 12 oz
- 2.5 - 3 oz dairy free dark chocolate - 70-85% cocoa - broken into small pieces*
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the coconut sugar and coconut milk, stirring continuously until combined.
- Continue stirring and bring to a boil, scrape the sides while stirring to make sure the sugar doesn't burn.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and continue to stir and cook for 5-7 minutes, until deep golden brown, shiny, and thickened. Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the hot chocolate.
- In a separate saucepan, add 4oz of the almond milk plus all the dark chocolate. Over low heat, stir the mixture until all the chocolate is melted (flecks of chocolate will still be present)
- Add the rest of the almond milk and heat, stirring, until bubbles begin to form.
- Serve right away in big mugs and swirl in caramel sauce as desired - the more you put in, the sweeter and creamier it will be! Makes 3-4 servings.
What winter/holiday treats are you in the mood for lately?
Any fun weekend plans? Do tell!