A perfect on the go breakfast or snack, these Paleo Bacon Egg Breakfast Bites will become a go-to recipe for when life gets busy. With crisp savory bacon, wholesome protein rich pasture raised eggs, the perfect seasonings, and fresh chives, you might want more than a bite, and that’s more than fine! Whole30 and sugar detox friendly, grain free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free.
Hey all! I hope I’m still having fun and still alive! Isn’t it weird writing posts in advance? Right now I haven’t even finished packing for my trip, which will be basically over as you read this, so I’m coming to you from the past. I guess I’m always doing this to a small degree but a whole week feels almost creepy.
Okay I’ve gotten over it. The good thing about recipe posts is that the recipe can last forever, and by forever I mean until the end of civilization. In this case, I’m assuming that bacon and eggs will make it through to the end with us. I’m talking the bitter end. If I’m going to be catapulted off the earth by a catastrophic event, I will be taking my bacon and eggs with me for my last meal. Good thing these bacon egg breakfast bites will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. Maybe I’ll push it to 4 if the event is really really catastrophic. Assuming my refrigerator withstands the event, of course, which, why would it not?
Things just got real weird real fast here, so I apologize for that. Kidding, not sorry. You guys must know by now that rambling and making things weird is maybe almost my best and most special talent. Well, that and also time travel, as we just discussed. Gosh I’m a kidder today! And none of it’s all that funny, so, let’s move on.
I’ve been thinking ahead to the beginning of school. And when I think of school, I think mostly of myself and my kids in our minivan eating, because it just always works out that way. I don’t know what we’re even eating. Breakfasts? Snacks? Dinner-snack? Play doh? It can be tricky to figure out what to bring in the bags and tupperwares as we go from home to school to activity to another activity. We always need more than I think we do, and honestly a lot of the time it’s me who’s left hungry.
Eggs and bacon to the rescue, at least for me and Diana. You remember Diana’s instructional post about keeping your bacon safe, right? She can’t get enough bacon – she ate half of this batch on the first day. I don’t blame her, because there will be many more egg bites and muffins and cups (they’re all the same thing) after the success of this recipe!
- 8 whole eggs - pasture raised or organic
- 6 slices nitrate free bacon*
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over med-hi heat until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, paprika and onion powder. Crumble the cooled bacon and add to the egg mixture. Last, add the chopped chives and stir to combine.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way up to make 8-10 egg bites. Bake in the preheated oven 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs have JUST set. Remove from oven and let cool before removing and serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze them for later use. Enjoy!
*US Wellness Meats has my favorite!
What would your last meal include? Is refrigeration necessary?
Do you make your own on-the-go snacks or go with prepackaged?