If you’re craving a savory, filling breakfast or brunch packed with flavor, this Chipotle Taco Breakfast Skillet Bake is here for you! It’s grain free, dairy free, Paleo, Whole30 friendly, and perfect for any time of day.
Another savory breakfast coming at-cha at lightening speed. It’s quick and delicious, packed with nutrients, and a legit excuse to eat taco meat for breakfast. Throw a margarita in there too – no one will guess if you’re hiding it in a travel mug, right?
Just kidding – I don’t support drinking margaritas in the morning because they don’t contain any caffeine. However, I do support eggs baked into chipotle chili seasoned taco meat with veggies, avocado slices, more chipotle salsa, and PLANTAINS! Followed by coffee, because let’s face it, Paleo or not we still need our coffee.
Just one more reason to hug my coffee really, really tight right now is that winter has finally arrived. A little bit of snow, blustery winds and I’m thinking there might be a few mornings in the near future where the only outdoor running I’ll do is through the gym parking lot. Just in time to officially start marathon training, of course. And also just in time for the Fred Lebow Half Marathon this weekend – which isn’t looking so good at this point at all (even though I’m not supposed to look!)
Meredith and I are texting back and forth about the potential for snow, and right now it looks like 5-8 inches into Saturday and 1-3 into Sunday (race day.) I’m starting to think I’m the one bringing bad weather-luck to these races – first the rainstorm and now the first big snowstorm of the season? Is it too early to tell? This is why I need to NOT look until at least Thursday.
Nothing but saucy eggs and spicy meat to comfort me now. And that’s okay by me. It’s a cozy sort of day and I don’t need to think about running or snow right now. Adam is home, the kids are home (and not fighting), and my house is still clean. Life is very good, very happy, really chill today. There’s time to breathe, time to blog, and time to cook without major multitasking – which always makes the food taste better – no matter how simple it is. Probably a good life lesson, one that I’m always working on. One thing at a time, and quality over quantity – why are these hard concepts for me?
Something to think about while I’m happily drowning in my Chipotle Taco Breakfast Bake and crispy-soft fried sweet plantains!
Chipotle Taco Breakfast Skillet Bake
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee, for cooking
- ⅓ lb grass fed ground beef
- ⅛ tsp chipotle chile pepper
- ⅛ tsp Mexican chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ⅛-1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Large handful fresh spinach, chopped
- Small handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 eggs
- Sea salt to season eggs
- Half an avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Chipotle salsa for topping (or your favorite salsa)
- Prior to beginning, mix together the spices and sea salt in a very small bowl.
- Heat a small-medium oven proof skillet (cast iron is ideal) over medium heat and preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Melt the cooking fat in skillet and add the chopped onions, stir and cook until soft.
- Sprinkle the ground beef into the pan and add the spice mixture, stir to combine and brown the meat.
- Once the meat is nearly browned, lower the heat and add the spinach and tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and create spaces in the mixture to add the eggs. Carefully crack each egg into the pan one at a time, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to preference.
- Top with sliced avocado and chipotle salsa to serve - this will serve 1-2 depending on portion sizes.
- I highly recommend serving with my fried sweet plantains as well!
Are you a multi-tasker? When was the last time you slowed down?
Are you a fan of smoky Chipotle flavor? I can’t get enough!