Incredibly easy, healthy, and delicious, this Paleo Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Hash with Kale is a favorite go-to savory breakfast! It all comes together in one pan in under 20 minutes with almost no prep. Paleo, Whole30 friendly, dairy free, gluten free.
I could prepare and eat this every morning for life and be perfectly happy. It’s that simple and good!
I made this Sunday morning, the morning before both my daughters dance recital and seriously might not have gotten through the day if i hadn’t (sounds like a sales pitch, cute). A simple paleo sweet potato sausage breakfast hash has definitely been a great go-to since I’ve been eating this way, and not just for breakfast! It’s really pretty perfect at any time of day, don’t you think?
But more about my recital woes first. Even though we checked every day for a week before the recital that they each had all their different shoes and a clean, not-ripped pair of tights, somehow hell broke loose anyway an hour before we had to leave. Only 1 pair of tights, missing shoes, shoes mismatched by size.
So, now 40 minutes before we leave the house, I’m at the local walgreens scrounging for little-girl tights. Found a lone crumpled white pair on the floor for $1.99 and ran home in time to find the missing shoe, get dressed and get the hair and makeup done (makeup is their favorite part of the whole thing I think). But don’t think I wasn’t screaming at them like they just poured nail polish on the wood floors and cut their own hair. Because I was. I was not happy.
The recital turned out great though, and I will give 5% credit to this breakfast for my recovery and surprisingly even mood during several hours of entertaining my 3 year old through 2 different shows.
But now back to the recipe! Sausage, sweet potatoes, and kale. Can you go wrong? Well, there was most certainly a time when I would have, I mean, I didn’t eat kale at all until a year ago, and it can take a bit of practice. But once you get it, it’s an awesome and healthy complement to the rest of this easy dish. Get yourself a sweet potato and sausage link and let’s rock on.
Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Hash with Kale
- 1 small sweet potato or half of a larger one, peeled and chopped small
- 1 link all natural or organic italian sausage or breakfast sausage patty (casing removed if it's a link)*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- dash sea salt
- large handful kale, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced green onion for garnish
- Heat a small-medium heavy skillet over med heat. Add coconut oil and melt.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes to the pan, stirring to brown, and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
- Cook sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes, covering to let them soften, stirring to evenly brown
- When sweet potatoes are nearly done, break the sausage into small pieces and add to pan. Stir and break down smaller to evenly brown.
- Once the potatoes and sausage are browned, add the kale and 1 tbsp water to the pan and toss to coat. Cover pan and allow kale to steam. Add another tbsp or so of water if needed
- After about a minute, check kale and stir. Once kale is soft, make small grooves in the hash and crack the eggs one at a time in the grooves and add salt and pepper if you like. Cover the pan, and lower the heat while the egg cooks.
- I like to cook the eggs until the whites are just solid and the yolks are still a little runny. Works well for this meal but of course cook them to your liking!
- Transfer to a plate (the whole thing should be able to slide right onto your plate, if not, just scoop it out), garnish with sliced green onion if you want, and wait a minute so you don't burn your mouth. It's not as good that way, I did it this morning and regretted it. Enjoy!
If you love a good breakfast hash, try out some of these others!