With just 6 ingredients, these easy Paleo Chocolate Chip Skillet cookies are great whenever a cookie craving strikes! They’re fudgier than regular cookies and completely gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and Paleo. Make in 2 small skillets or one big one, and top with coconut ice cream for skillet cookie sundaes!
My birthday recipe (and actual birthday) is here as promised! Ready for the truth guys? I’m ringing in this birthday sick with a respiratory infection – blah. I thought it was just going to be a mild cold/sore throat until a way-too-high-for-a-grown-up fever hit me hard and completely knocked me out.
Happily, as I’m writing this on Monday night (birthday-eve) I’m feeling human again thanks to a no-so-Paleo round of antibiotics. What’s left now is a cough and literally no voice. As in can’t-even-answer-the-phone-no-voice. If this sticks around for Halloween I might get in trouble for trying to scare the kids. Let’s just say it’s a good thing my job doesn’t actually require me to talk.
It’s also a good thing I prepared this birthday treat last week when I felt totally fine! Sort of a happy early birthday? Of course, this recipe is everything I look for in a birthday treat – easy, gluten free and Paleo, and serves a lot of people. The last one is key! My kids look forward to birthdays around here for two reasons – making cards (the cutest) and eating dessert.
It’s not as if they aren’t regularly getting dessert of course (Paleo or not, treats are treats!) but birthday treats are more fun. And, skillet cookies are more fun than regular cookies, in my opinion! Any time you get to top giant, fudgy, just-baked, warm chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream and dig in, we are talking big-time fun.
So, aside from the fact that these cookies are baked in a skillet or two, what’s so great about them? Let me explain. I took one of my favorite basic cookie recipes from long ago – my chewy chocolate chip cranberry cookies – as a base, and made it denser, softer, chewier, and added more chocolate.
Since you’re baking these in skillets and not forming into balls, you can get away with going with a stickier cookie dough and packing in more chocolate chips! The result is cookie sundae perfection, promise.
When it comes to making these cookies, it could not be easier! You can use either two 6.5 inch skillets (this is what I did for photos) or one medium skillet of about 10 inches. Any oven proof skillet will work – it doesn’t necessarily need to be cast iron – although those are of course my favorites!
The recipe contains just 6 main ingredients that are pretty standard if your kitchen is stocked for Paleo baking. Sometimes you need a few extra ingredients to get the flavor and texture you want, and sometimes less is more. I hope you like these – let’s start baking!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup organic coconut oil, soft but still solid
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- generous pinch sea salt
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips (I used a combination)*
- Optional - vanilla flavored coconut ice cream to top, plus extra chopped dark chocolate**
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 6.5 inch oven proof skillets (or one 10 inch skillet) lightly with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg-yolk until fully combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until fully combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate/chocolate chips or a combination, then transfer the mixture to the skillet or skillets if using two.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape all the cookie dough from the bowl and spread it out evenly in the skillets to ensure even baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the middle is just set and the edges begin to turn golden brown***
- Allow to cool a bit in the skillet(s) then top with ice cream if desired to serve. Enjoy!
What I Used to Make My Paleo Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies:
Want more Paleo cookie recipe? Try one of these!
Paleo Skillet Cookies on the Web:
Have you ever been sick for your birthday? This might oddly be my first time.
What’s your ideal birthday cake/treat? I think I ask this every year 🙂
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Paleo Running Momma!