These grain free and Paleo almond butter banana muffins will become a family favorite for breakfast and snacks! Made with almond flour and flaxseed, these are healthy, kid friendly and perfect for your favorite mix-ins.
I’ve totally been slacking on my usual “thinking out loud” Thursday posts, I know. I DO have lots of thoughts brewing since my January Whole30 and subsequent reintroductions, and I’ll be updating everyone on all of it next Thursday, for sure.
Until then, you are getting muffins from me. Muffins I’ve been holding onto for way too long! You see, I wanted to stay true to the Whole30 theme in January and it just felt WRONG to post muffins, even though I made these way back in December. But now? Muffins are back in style like perfectly distressed skinny jeans. Which I recently pulled out of hibernation after months of wearing nothing but leggings. Side note/question for you all – is it just me or do all jeans feel oddly tight after living in leggings for too long?
Anyway, muffins are back in style, and, they feel just right and taste even better. I’m not particularly a muffin-for-breakfast kind of person, but MAN do I like having a muffin to grab for an afternoon snack. Even during the Whole30, I always needed something around 4pm to hold me over until dinner, so I wouldn’t eat, you know, everyone else’s dinner while pretending to cook it. That’s happened a couple of times to me, seriously, do not laugh. Anyway, muffins suit me perfectly at 4pm, since I like to limit my actual cooking-sessions to 3 times per day.
And how are these muffins different from other muffins I’ve made, you may be wondering. I’ve been known to put almond butter in my muffins a time or two, so that is not the answer. The answer is flaxseed!
I’m not breaking new ground here – this I understand – but for myself, I wanted to experiment with omitting my usual tapioca flour (I have a thing for it, you might have noticed) and adding in flaxseed with the almond flour. Something about bananas, almonds and flax just sounded wonderfully wholesome to me, and I had to go with it.
The result was a hearty yet fluffy and sweet muffin that’s a great base for all your favorite add-ins. Over here, we’re talking mini chocolate chips! You can do anything you want though – go naked (the honey/almond butter combo is so good on its own) or even do chopped nuts or raisins. Or blueberries, almost forgot! The Paleo “rules” are your limits. Just kidding – go ahead and make your own rules, dammit! Paleo or not, definitely give these muffins a shot – let me know what you think. Now let’s bake!
Paleo Almond Butter Banana Muffins with Flaxseed
- 3 eggs
- 2 overripe medium bananas, mashed
- ½ cup unsweetened almond butter, creamy
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- generous pinch salt
- Mini dairy free, soy free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand) or chopped nuts - optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the mashed bananas, almond butter, honey, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, flax, baking soda and pinch of salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just combined, don't over-mix. If adding chocolate chips, raisins or chopped nuts, gently stir in about ⅓ -1/2 cup.
- Spoon the batter evenly among the muffin cups/liners to fill about ¾ of the way (I made 12), scraping the bowl to use it up. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown and centers are just set.
- Cool in the muffin pan for about 2 minutes, then gently transfer to wire racks to fully cool. Enjoy!
Products I used to make my Paleo Almond Butter Banana Muffins:
Want more delicious, kid friendly Paleo muffin recipes? Try one of these!
Are you a morning-muffin kind of person?
What are your favorite banana muffin add-ins? Anyone prefer going naked?
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Paleo Running Momma!